Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Friday 30 March 2012

The Hunger Games

I don't understand people. I just read an article in the Daily Mail about some woman kicking off about her daughters being emotionally scarred by The Hunger Games. I went to see it with Dale last night finally and it was okay, the book was definitely better but isn't that always the case? There's all this commotion because it's been certificated as a 12a but this is how I see it: Maybe if parents are freaking out about what their children are being shown they should actually check what they're child is going to view at the cinema first. If I go onto my local cinema's website and click on The Hunger Games this is the description I get

The Hunger Games

Sci-fi thriller ‘The Hunger Games’, from director Gary Ross (Seabiscuit, Pleasantville) takes us to a future North America where deadly gladiatorial combat has become an annual TV sensation. Every year, a teenage boy and girl are selected to compete in a fight to the death with other contenders. When Katniss takes her younger sister’s place for the forthcoming match, only training from a past champion and her instinct for survival can help her return home victorious. ‘The Hunger Games’ stars Jennifer Lawrence (X-Men: First Class) and Josh Hutcherson (Detention).

So there we have three key phrases that will clue you into what is going to happen in this film. No, the children aren't going to go to a nice arena filled with harmless birds and bees but instead one filled with Jabberjays, Mockingjays, Tracker Jackers and murderous children. Personally I find that the story that is told through the books is inspiring, it shows what could become of us when greed takes over, when the world is dying and when desperation takes over the people. Just look at the people that live in Capitol, yes they look humorous but they are all just following the trends of the times. People die everyday through natural causes, through war, through taking their own lives. War is real, so why not portray it in this way? I would rather have my child watch this than Twilight to be perfectly honest (where may I point out the first film has a rating of PG-13 and also has death in it - one of which we clearly see one vampire breaking anothers neck). To be honest I found the books more violent that the film. They didn't include half the things that would have made it more gruesome - for example the Mutt's having the eyes of the tributes. People over-react about the stupidest of things. And yes, I do realise I am most probably overreacting about that woman's article but never mind, I'm a hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment